Welcome to the SAI Forums Line Illustration Pencil A rediscovered sketchbook

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Allan T Adams Allan T Adams 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Just after 9/11 I went to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, USA to work on a number of drawings for the a book on the old buildings surviving in the Chesapeake area. The book is now about to go to press. As I looked got the finished drawings ready to send to the States I also came across the sketchbook I used while over there. The sketches were done on a couple of rare days out of the office (which had no windows)as I tried to get to grips with the unfamiliar vernacular of Virginia.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

A few more sketches from the Williamsburg trip. The details were used to help with drawings showing one-room houses with all the furniture and fittings. The necessary house is the toilet; the Whythe house had two in the garden with a total of eight seats.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Love the well bucket, Allan. Don’t know how you can have these and resist the urge to “finish” them. They almost make me want to draw again.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I’m getting frustrated too. All these lovely buildings in York and I can’t fit in a sketching trip because there’s too much to do in the office. 😥

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

LOL and if the office weren’t busy… Ye old conundrum.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

It’s good to notice that you’re fired up again following your traumatic few months, Allan.

Lovely work. The 4-holer seems friendly enough!

Are the American sketches of museum dwellings?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Yes Don, the Colonial Williamsburg Museum. Costumed ‘interpreters’ are to be found in miost of the buildings that are open to visitors. Some of the reconstructed houses are rented out to ordinary people, many of them work at the museum or affiliated bodies. Its an extraordinary place, probably what the National Trust had in mind this year when they strated to let people touch things and so on in their historic buildings.

The kitchen was a good being used to demonstrate 18th century cooking methods. The only draw back to the place is that it is stuck in 1776 when the States declared independence. A sort of Ground Hog Day which is fine for a day’s visit but wearing whne you’re there for a week or two. I wouldn’t want to live there i don’t think. The licencing laws are also odd; its almsot impossible to buy beer unless its from one of the replica taverns and then you have to book in advance. 😕

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Really nice Allan. What is the book and is it being published in the UK or just in America? There’s some funny observations about Colonial Williamsburg in one of Bill Bryson’s books, can’t remember which one though.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

One again, not a building but indulging my passion for ships, and having nothing much to do, (sorry, Allan 😳 ) here’s a sketch of the ‘Schleswig-Holstein’ of the Imperial German navy.

Built just after the 1914 war, she survived until, and served in, the 1939-45 conflict. Between the wars she was a training ship for naval cadets.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Schleswig-Holstein popped uup and sank a post… :mozilla_undecided: Nice drawing Don; how do you post a post on top of a post?

The Williamsburg people have been working for years on their publication. It should finally appear in the spring, courtesy of University of North Carolina Press. Its working title is The Chesapeake House: The Practice of Architectural Investigation at Colonial Williamsburg. It should be easy enough to get hold of through Amazon.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Here are few of the finished drawings for the Williamsburg book project. Its been quite a while since I did the work (and got paid) so I am looking forward to seeing it all published.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Spurred on by Don’s warship drawings I had a go at doodling one of my own. Here’s a destroyer, not as good as Don’s but it was drawn while having a coffee.

All I know about the ship is that it was in the Meditteranean after World War Two 😉

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@AllanA wrote:

Schleswig-Holstein popped uup and sank a post… :mozilla_undecided: Nice drawing Don; how do you post a post on top of a post?

Did my post of the ship delete a post of yours, Allan? If so I don’t know how that happened. 😕

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Perhaps it was a simultaneous posting Don. All I know is that I wrote a message, hit the submit button and your post with the drawing of Schleswig-Holstein appeared. I wrote a new message and posted it a few seconds later.

A lovely ship but I expect the Danes didn’t like the name much. Bismarck stole the province of Schleswig-Holstein from them in the 1860s. 😀

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Do you know the name of the ship you sketched, Allan? Is it a destroyer? It looked more like a Flower class corvette to me.

I certainly think that a soft pencil gives a more of a free feeling than the propelling pencil with an ‘H’ grade 0.5mm lead which I used. Far less constipated! Very nice :clap:

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I don’t know the name of the ship but it was more destroyer than corvette; it has two single 4.5″ or 4.7″ gun turrets in A nad B positions plus some radar like thingy amidships. It was from a photograph of a light fleet aircraft carrier in the Med, performing plane guard duties. I don’t think corvettes moved quick enough for that did that?

Wouldn’t have guessed you used such a hard pencil for your sketches Don. My sketch was a HB 0.3mm Rotring Tikky clutch pencil.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Yes, Allan. Plane guards are destroyers, always! corvettes far too slow. Except, maybe, for land based A/C 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today