Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI AGM – 2012

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Iain Denby Iain Denby 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Iain Denby
    Participant

Bugger. I won’t be able to make this year’s AGM. I’m travelling down to London on the Saturday afternoon and running the London Marathon on the Sunday!

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Why not just run down to the meeting, Ian? 😆

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Sorry you won’t be there, Iain. I’ll give you a mention under AOB!

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

To coincide with the AGM we will be launching an exhibition of work for sale by SAI members.

We have the following invitation from Anise Gallery and those who would like to participate should respond direct to the Gallery.

“We are offering all SAI members the exciting opportunity to exhibit in the newly opened Anise Gallery in Shad Thames. It will give you a unique opportunity to sell your work as the gallery will be open every weekend and attracts a variety of potential buyers and other artists – all you have to do is submit your masterpiece to info@anisegallery.co.uk by Friday 23rd March. Along with your submission please tell us the size and whether it is an original or a signed archival print (in which case please provide edition copy).

Anise Gallery is situated within the offices of AVR London, 13a Shad Thames, and the preview will coincide with the SAI AGM on 21st April thereby giving all members the opportunity to see the exhibition.

Unfortunately space is limited so if we get a huge response we can’t guarantee that all works will be displayed but we will try our best to get as many up as possible. With this in mind, please do think carefully about the size of work you submit.

In order to have everything ready we ask that you submit your piece to the above email address by the 23rd March and we will contact you shortly after to let you know if you have been chosen as an exhibitor, then it will be up to you to get it framed and delivered to the gallery by Friday 13th April. This may sound like a lot of work but it will be worth it!

We really hope you find this idea as exciting as we do and look forward to hearing from you soon”.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Jacky on 07808 864653 or at jacquelyn@anisegallery.co.uk or Joe at joseph@avrlondon.com.

For some background on the gallery please do look at our website http://www.anisegallery.co.uk

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Great stuff, Don.

I guess it’ll prove too expensive to send a photograph from here and back in a frame — that I have all ready from the VAD exhibition. Not sure it’d cover the selling price, assuming it sold.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

What did you get for my entry, Chris? 😆

Now that it’s all over, do you think that our involvement in the three exhibitions was worth it? I haven’t had any feedback from the report posted on the main site or the forum.

A lot of effort and no opinion from anyone! 🙄

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Your entry is still in the wrapping it arrived at my apartment in, Don, together with mine.

Guess I should check they are the right ones, one day. 😉

It was definitely worth submitting at the exhibitions. I didn’t get a flood of orders 🙁 ; but that’s not the sole purpose. We as a group connected up in a big way with other illustrators and it put our name and work out there again. One never knows where the benefits eventually come from.

Like advertising, there is a lot of apparent lost energy in the form of time input, printing, prints, delivery etc. What counts is the fact that people see the ad and it has its effects even without the viewer knowing. It’s the few that buy from the thousands that see that counts and makes it worth while.

See this Derren Brown video on how it effects us without our suspecting anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f29kF1vZ62o.

Additionally, in our case, we will surely be invited to participate again next time, whereas before we were beginning to be left out of international invitations.

The world isn’t going to fly over to our studios and buy what we want to sell. We have to get out there.

It’s also a matter of education together with the self promotion that was one of the reasons for the founding of the Society.

Artists/illustrators exhibit in the hope of selling, but it goes farther than that. The artist wants his work out there to educate others. S/he has something to say visually that the world can benefit from, and ultimately does. So does the artist/illustrator; the benefit is just so often indirect, and down the road a way.

My students that attended the exhibition were, I felt, surprised that there is such a body of work and workers out there doing this kind of illustration — and that people have jobs, are employed, doing this. That opens up a whole new world of possibilities for them.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Thanks for the words, Chris. They had the calming effect which your thoughts usually have! I often need recourse to meditation when there’s a resounding non-response from the masses :crazy:

Here’s the result from the Derren Brown link 😀

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant
    Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Good try, Chris, but still blocked!

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Hmm. Not blocked here. 😕 It looks like the up loader to YouTube has blocked them, but they are viewable on YouTube. Try going straight to YouTube? 💡

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

Here’s the full episode on Channel 4; the bit you have to see is near the end and you can’t fast forward unfortunately. The whole thing is worth seeing, though!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-mind-control/4od#2922775

Keith

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Cheers, Keith. 😀

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ll have time to do anything for the exhibition, I don’t have anything really that big that it wouldn’t look lost on a wall either. I could do a compilation of the drawings I did for the BBC 4 programme on Pugin? These are just the drafts but what does anyone think?

Donna Scott
    Donna Scott
    Participant

I’ve put my submission in for the SAI exhibition! 🙂
    I’ve just finished painting it this afternoon! 😎
    It’s not a huge piece of art either. About A4 sized which will increase to A3 when it’s framed (which I’m hoping to get done tomorrow)
    If it gets accepted I’ll be bringing it with me on the day of the AGM and helping to hang it.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

‘Well done’, Donna! See you on varnishing day.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Well done to all involved, an excellent meeting. The exhibition looked great as well.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

As it’s now ended I wonder if anyone knows how the exhibition went? What kind of response did it get and were any sold?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

No feedback as yet, Tim. I do know that Donna had a message that her painting was not sold.

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

@timrichardson wrote:

As it’s now ended I wonder if anyone knows how the exhibition went? What kind of response did it get and were any sold?

Don sold one of his prints, but as far as I know that’s it. Early days for the gallery; it takes time to establish a presence, but having said that, I sold 6 last Friday in the space of 2 hours at a local exhibition in a church hall! (And no – it wasn’t all my mates who bought them). Most sales are made on the preview night, so it’s totally dependent on the quality of the guest list.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Must be great to sell 6 in two hours. Well done, Keith.

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

@cpl wrote:

Must be great to sell 6 in two hours. Well done, Keith.

Thanks Chris. It’s never happened before, and is unlikely to ever happen again!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today