Welcome to the SAI Forums Line Illustration Pencil Another damp holiday in the Lakes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Allan T Adams Allan T Adams 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Just back from the Lake District where the weather was a bit drier than last year. I decided to take on the traffic and hordes of visitors’ umbrellas and sketched Bridge House. I was offered theservices of an umbrella holder but declined this as she had injured her ankle just before we went away, not the best preparation for standing around on a busy pavement.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Like the lean – very Paul Hogarthian.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

A sort of holiday, at least a couple of days out of the office, to sketch and measure Claife Station. It belongs to the National Trust and is being studied as part of a project by EH on lakeland villas.

It was designed by Carr of York and overlooks Windermere lake. I will probably be doing a reconstruction drawing or two, hence the need to measure it. Some of the sketches were done after the first day’s measuring, at the hotel before dinner.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice work. Do you think that the traditional approach is better in this case? I do, its just that you used to see a lot of (very expensive) close range photogrammety used for this kind of survey a few years ago. I wonder if its fallen out of use.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks Tim.

I’m surprised that this site wasn’t covered in photogrammetry targets. Then again the ruin needs some work doing to it to prevent more bits falling off onto people so perhaps a detailed condition survey is deemed a waste of time.

According to the National Trust people we met on site there a strong lobby to get the building restored, not just consolidated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today