Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI Autumn Meeting – 2011 Bath

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Our Autumn Meeting will be at The University of Bath on Saturday the 15th October 2011.
    Open to members and non-members alike

Arrangements are being finalised but we can tell you that the theme will be based on the Art of Drawing and it’s importance in the Craft of Digital Visualisation … or something like that.

There will demonstrations projected through the Magic Lantern

Further details will, of course, be posted on the SAI web site, this Forum and via the Post Office.

Put the date into your diary – now

James Mann
    Participant

There is a “visualisation” conference on in Italy on the same day. I pointed this out to a couple of members on Twitter and there have been a few tweets doing the rounds particularly from arch-viz guys in Bristol who weren’t aware that there was going to be something going on so close to home.

Do we have any more info to spread to word?

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Jim. To help you tweet to your viz-pals re our meeting at Bath I attach, below, a DRAFT notice of meeting. It’s nearly ready to be sent to all SAI members but is still in the discussion stage with the Board. Dates and venue are OK but it could alter in detail.

The main thrust will be ‘Freehand Illustration of architecture for the Student’ Joe feels that the day could be useful to them in their practice of digital vizzing.

Notice of an Autumn Meeting
    Our Autumn Meeting is to be held
    on Saturday 15th October 2011
    at the
    UNIVERSITY of BATH
    Meet from 09.30 for coffee, biscuits and sign in.

Be sure to bring some of your work for others to see

The theme of this meeting
    will be to present to the students of the University
    the art of Architectural Illustration

In the morningThere will be a series of free demonstrations and discussion by SAI members
    employing traditional methods and media which will include…
    Pen and pencil – Line and wash – Watercolour – Markers

Lunch break will be from 12.30 to 13.30
    There are a selection of Cafés and Restaurants close by

In the afternoon
    The students will be invited to compete for
    cash prizes to the value of £250 – £50 each for 5 catagories – to be awarded to the best Architectural Illustrations completed under the guidance of SAI members.

A full agenda and travel information
    will be published on the SAI web site nearer the day

There will be a charge of £10 for the day. This is provisional depending on costings from the University.
    To be confirmed.

Bath Students attend Free of Charge

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

By coincidence the day is also the date for the 33rd international sketchcrawl:

http://www.sketchcrawl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2224

http://www.sketchcrawl.com/2011/05/date-for-sketchcrawl-33/

Might be interesting to post some of the work done on the day on the sketchcrawl website? I have a portable scanner I could bring along – just a thought.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

What a good idea, Tim Please do. We should have some work from the Bath students, that’s if their attention span can cope with it 🙄

Joe is organising the tecky stuff and we’ll have O/H projector/s there. It might be an idea if you were to phone him to confirm that he needs a scanner. After all, it’s his department that we’ll be using and he may have all that stuff there. I’ll p.m. you his number.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

We’re hardening up on arrangements for the Bath meeting and Joe has knocked up this poster which will be published on the students notice board.

It say it all, I think/hope!

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

If you think I’m going to be painting anything like that, I’ll need another 15 minutes… 😉

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice poster, £250! I may just disguise myself as a student and have a go..

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I’ll have to bring a set square and parallel motion to recreate another Fylingdales drawing like the one in the poster.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Off topic, I know but must tell you that we’ve just come from a Watercolour Seminar by David Bellamy. VERY impressive.

Came away wih the usual feeling of, “I could do that”

Dream on Coe 🙄

p.s. He uses a video camera trained on the paper with a connection to a projector onto a screen about 12 x 8 feet.

Most effective. Can we do this at Bath, Joe?

I’ll bring the camera.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster
    Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Good to see you, Tim. This is a test post.

John Mullaney
    Participant

Congrats to Joe and Don for organising a great event at Bath Uni on Saturday and to Keith, Shona, Allan and Pete for giving such interesting tutorials. Felt really good to see the Society connecting with the architecture students, imparting some invaluable advice and techniques and encouraging some genuine talent. 🙂

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks John, it did feel good to have so many enthusiastic students around. As I had no takers for the ‘heritage’ side of things I was able to wander around in the afternoon with a camera. You can just make out Don’s peg drawing in the original snap of him surrounded by students trying hard to emulate his technique.

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

Great stuff, Allan. Nice of you to pick up on my shocking presentation. The students in the 3rd pic were working on my technique and the left-handed guy on the left was the eventual prize-winner. I too was taken aback by the enthusiasm and impressed by the talent. I would do it all again at the drop of a hat. Congrats to Joe for setting it all up and looking forward to next time…!

@AllanA wrote:

Thanks John, it did feel good to have so many enthusiastic students around. As I had no takers for the ‘heritage’ side of things I was able to wander around in the afternoon with a camera. You can just make out Don’s peg drawing in the original snap of him surrounded by students trying hard to emulate his technique.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Hopefully no one took a picture of my presentation. if I looked like I felt, peering out from the desk at a sea of faces, it should be picture of terror.

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

Don’t worry, Allan, it didn’t show. :mozilla_wink:

@AllanA wrote:

Hopefully no one took a picture of my presentation. if I looked like I felt, peering out from the desk at a sea of faces, it should be picture of terror.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Here’s one of forty, Chaps.

Thanks for your company. Allan. I hope you completed your homeward without to much trouble!

I’ll post more when I’ve finished a rush job which was waiting for me when I got home.

Thanks to a great team.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

See, I told you I told you I was quaking 😯

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

It was good to be able to spend time with everyone and in such a postive way. The office restructuring is getting everyone down a bit so a bit of uplift was just what I needed.

By the way Keith your presentation was awesome; the size of the image on the screen, and its clarity, was the only shocking aspect.

I’m still running on south of England time I think; it takes me a couple of days to re-adjust 😕

James Mann
    Participant

Looks like an amazing turnout, I’m sorry I missed it.

Has there been any interest from the students to becoming members since Saturday?

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Joe may have the answer in the fullness of time 😉

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

I’ve just managed to write up the meeting and it’ll be published in the next newsletter together with a few photographs of the day. That’s if it gets past the editor.

This is how I saw the meeting…

Notes of the SAI Autumn meeting at the University of Bath
    Shortly after our AGM in London, Joe Robson, SAI president, mooted the idea of holding our autumn meeting at the Bath University. Joe is Visiting Tutor at that place and felt that he may be able to gain access to a space free of charge if we were to offer his students an insight into the importance of Freehand Drawing in relation to their work on digital illustration.

This idea was discussed at our next Board meeting and it seemed a viable proposition – and so it came to pass!

On Saturday 15th October at 09.00 the advance party gained access to the Crit. Room in building 6 East and began to set up laptops and overhead projectors to enable five of our members to present demonstrations to an, as yet, unknown number of students.

We also had with us the entire set of SAI display panels which Alison set up in various places on the approach to the room. Our Banner had pride of place at the top of the stairs. We were ready to go.

The flasks of tea and coffee appeared and at 10.05 I called the meeting to order. There were just eighteen SAI members plus three guests.

With all due respect to those who were there, it looked as though the meeting would be a disaster. On the previous Thursday Joe had distributed a number of posters announcing the event to the students, together with notice that there would be cash awards to those who produced the best five illustrations during the day based on the five demonstrations by SAI members.

By 10.20 I had finished the SAI business reports and announcements and handed over to Joe for him to outline the events for the day. While he was talking I was able to leave the room to check that the doors were in fact ‘open for business’. Not only were they open there were about fifty or so student milling about wondering where to go.

A quick word or two from me and they poured into the Crit. Room and very nearly filled the 150-seat space.

We were in business.

The Morning Session.

• I kicked off the first 30 minutes with a line and wash sketch of a recent job and babbled on about how I started out as an illustrator. I hope it was useful!

• Allan Adams described his job by screening a variety of drawings of surveys, sections and finished illustrations of historic buildings connected with his work at English Heritage.

• Shona Coppin, Queen of the Marker, showed us how she sets up her architectural illustrations from plan and elevations with accurately plotted lines using traditional tools of the trade – ‘T’ square & setsquare. The resulting line drawing is then freehand traced onto tracing paper and back-coloured with markers, pen and pads of tissue.

We then decided to break for lunch, during which time Joe had gained access to two more rooms and had set up yet more laptop/screen systems so that the mornings’ illustrations could be copied by the students. Paper, paint, brushes and pencils were made available thanks to Keith for bringing a whole bundle of materials with him.

Boxes of pens, pencils appeared from somewhere and the room erupted into action as dozens of student began their quest for either a cash award or just loads of fun. It was all so – ACTIVE.

Following the lunch break.

• Keith Hornblower demonstrated the beauty of pure watercolour by painting a view of Brunel’s suspension bridge over the Avon at Bristol.

• Pete Jarvis based his session on the image of a clothes peg. He asked that the students first analyse the construction so that it is fully understood then to illustrate said peg from one direction but varying the scale. The peg was to be drawn as a corner piece in a room and then as a part of a cityscape.

Back into the other rooms we all went to carry on practicing the dark art of freehand illustration until at about 4.30 p.m. a halt was called and the best of five entries were judged by those who had set the tasks.

Joe called the meeting to order and amid plenty of banter and applause he presented each of the winners with fifty pounds. The award for the best Marker Illustration was shared by two students. It was that close!

I closed the meeting at around 5.15 and we all went our various ways. Some home and others to a local shop for something cool to drink.

DON COE
    Here are just some of the hundreds of photographs taken at the event.

Hi Don,

I’m really disappointed that I couldn’t make it to the Bath SAI Autumn meeting – just moved house a week before and still on the horrible rollercoaster of moving house and studio/work/family all at once!It sounded very creative and good fun.

On another point, I notice you’re on http://www.presentingarchitecture.com.I've had the email invitation but there are so many things like that, that I tend to switch off. Do you think it’s worth while? It says free listing on the email but I haven’t read any small print.

Cheers, and looking forward to the next meeting (I’m never moving again)

Chris

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Chris. I can sympathise with your hatred of moving house. It’s the worst thing I’ve ever had to do.

Yes, you missed a really great meeting. We had a lot of fun once the logistics had been sorted.

The Presenting Architecture site is OK by us and appears to be a useful resource. Go for it. See you there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today