Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI Autumn Meeting – 2012 Southampton

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Autumn Meeting – Southampton 2012

For those of you who are attending the Autumn Meeting at the Southampton Solent School of Art & Design, you may find this map useful.

The address – Below Bar, 9 Castle Way, is South of the railway station and, Pete tells me, is about 15 minutes walk.

Some of us are staying overnight on the Thursday at the Jurys Inn Hotel Southampton, Charlotte Place,
    Southampton, SO14 0TB. Tel: 023 8037 1111. The hotel is NE of the station, at the end of Brunswick Place and near to the St. Mary’s Leisure Centre. It’s shown as a bed on Pete’s map.

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

Very useful :mozilla_smile:

Thanks Don!

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Have a great day all! Wish I could be there.

Hi Don,

I’m hoping to come to Southampton next week – thanks for all the info – do we need to definitely book in with you or just roll up?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Roll up! Roll up! The more the merrier. You can heckle us 🙂

Simone Ridyard
    Participant

Hi all, I am attending next week’s Southampton meeting and look forward to meeting some of you at last! I’m travelling from Manchester so expect closer to 10.30am and I’ll bring some work with me.

Looking forward to it.
    best wishes
    Simone

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

@Simone Ridyard wrote:

Hi all, I am attending next week’s Southampton meeting and look forward to meeting some of you at last! I’m travelling from Manchester so expect closer to 10.30am and I’ll bring some work with me.

Looking forward to it.
    best wishes
    Simone

Hi Simone
    Looking forward to meeting you – love your work!
    Keith

Simone Ridyard
    Participant

Dear Keith, I’ve only just seen your reply to my post. Like-wise your work is stunning. Fabulous & inspiring blog too!
    I look forward to meeting you on Friday.
    best wishes
    Simone

Thanks Don, I’ll hope to be there before 10.00 am Friday and look forward to a lively day.(Would I heckle? :mrgreen:)

Donna Scott
    Donna Scott
    Participant

Hope the Southampton meet goes well.
    Sorry I can’t be there. 🙁
    Look forward to hearing all about it on the forum

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

A few snaps of the meeting in Southampton, some taken before the nerves kicked in prior to me giving my presentation in the morning.

Thanks to everyone who came and took part, especially Pete for organising things and the two brave chaps who decided to have a go at copying the deer abattoir lifting hoist. :clap:

Nice photos Allan! It was a very enjoyable day to be a part of and I thought all the presenters (including yourself) did a great job. The students on the whole were quiet and spellbound in the morning, and full of enthusiasm in the afternoon. I can’t wait until the next one – for people like me who work alone (by preference!)it’s nice to come along and talk the same language with like-minded souls. And even though I draw practically every day I still love watching others do the same!

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Good snaps, Allan! Did you take one of the student’s abattoir sketch?

I’m glad you had an enjoyable day, Chris.

A big ‘Thank You’ to all those members who attended. I salute you.

Don

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Afraid I haven’t got picture of the winning abattoir sketch Don; my camera battery ran out after taking the general shots of people hard at work.

Glad you enjoyed the day Chris; I did once I’d done my stand-up-at-the-front part.

Simone Ridyard
    Participant

Dear all, I’ve finally got round to doing a blogpost about the Southampton meeting, which I hope you might quite like:

http://simoneridyard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/recent-society-of-architectural.html

best wishes
    Simone

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

One of the drawings I had with me on the day was the sketch of a barn interior; I thought the students might have had a go at drawing it as it was simpler than the drawing they chose to copy.

While they were doing their bit I sketched a reconstruction. Back in the office I discussed this with a colleague who suggessted some changes. The result is this second sketch. It also incorporates some alternative hinge arrangements; my initial sketch includes some which look too 19th century. i looked up harr hinges and included some of the research results on the sheet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today