Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI The Campaign for Drawing – City of London Festival

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

I met Joe at the foot of the Gerkin on Saturday. SAI members Pete Jarvis & Alex York joined us. Friends & helpers of Joe set out their equipment and we were in business.

Then in poured the masses.

More to follow but here’s a clue as to what went on in and with, the public.

Joseph Robson
    Participant

Don,

It was a great day, one of the most successful Big Draw events I think we’ve been involved with – and certainly a good basis to build on for future ones.

Thanks to our SAI folks; Don, Alex York, Pete Jarvis, and the none-SAI folks; Jacky, Mandy, Matt, Pam, Jerry & Siobhan.

Jacky and I will be going through the ones we didn’t manage to do on the day and I’ll post a few when I can – the ‘Piggy Bank’ will have to be uploaded for sure!

cheers

Joe

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@Joseph wrote:

– the ‘Piggy Bank’ will have to be uploaded for sure!

cheers

Joe

That’s right, Joe. Keep ’em guessing.
    What a shame more SAI members couldn’t make it. 🙄

Joseph Robson
    Participant

Don,

Yes it would be good to get a few more active members. SAI members were outnumbered by kind hearted helpers (friends of mine) this weekend…. Events like this spread the ‘SAI’ word and help increase the Society’s profile, something key to our survival and future.

Maybe next time…

Joe

John Pumfrey
    Participant

The pics are great and you seem to have had a good team …. sorry I couldn’t make it but I had a musical gig that lunchtime. I’m playing two or three times a week in these days of my retirement!

I am just planning the Reading Big Draw Event (in collaboration with the Museum – on the selected title of AGE. I aim to take the town bandstand as a base (for cover) and get our visitors to draw a 360degree panorama of the surrounding architecture, which runs from mediaeval abbey ruins via prison, Victorian church and the latest “Blade” finished only last year. Could turn out to be Reading’s “Comparative method” a la Bannister Fletcher!!

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Yes John, we did have a good time. Just like my old jazz days, we busked it!

After not more than a ten-second discussion Joe and I had the formula for the day. We then tried it out before kick-off time.

The participants were given a photograph, printed there & then, of a local view from which Joe had Photoshopped out some crummy architecture and invited them to sketch, on tracing paper taped over the photo, their idea for infilling the space.

A team of CGI bods then patched the result onto the original view, added colour and magic effects, and gave/emailed it, to the punter who had been sitting alongside the Illustrator.

Joe has a few of the results and will be posting them here for all to wonder at and, I hope, have a laugh! Nothing was taken too seriously.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Joe. Have you anything from the day to post? I thought that it would be a Good Thing if I were to put something onto the main site as well as here.

There is a distinct feeling of ‘quietness’ within the SAI just now and I think that there’s only Tim & Allan left! (With the occasional ‘Hi’ from Gareth, of course).

Maybe the remainder are on a sunny beach somewhere.

I have my cataracts removed today so am closing down the PC for a couple of weeks. See you – more clearly – at Bath!

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Don,

I hope your cataract op goes well. My mum had hers done in December and February. Now she only needs reading glasses for very small print (she was having to pay enormous sums for vari-focals before the ops). 😉

Allan

Joseph Robson
    Participant

Hi Don,

Good luck with the new eyes – stay away from the computers…

here are some finished works along with a couple of pics of the work in progress on the day.

See you in Bath.

Joe

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I like the design for the new bank fire-wall, in the form of a piggy-bank. Wil it really protect the retail parts of the banks from their irresponsible investment departments?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Thanks, both of you, for the good wishes re the eyes.

I’ve updated the mention of the C of London Fest on the SAI site, Joe.

I’m off!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today