Welcome to the SAI Forums Doodles Doodles or sketches?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Chris Lock Chris Lock 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Posting this from the SAI FB page where Allan brought the subject up. I know we have discussed this before, but one reason I include it here is because we do not have a page/thread for sketches or drawings; correct me if I am wrong there.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Chris Lock Chris Lock.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Chris Lock Chris Lock.
    Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

To me, a doodle always has meant a drawing without theme or figuration, an absent-minded scrawl.

The most common definition for “doodle” (Shorter OED), though Don has accurately quoted others, is “scribble or draw, esp. absent-mindedly.” The noun is such a scribble or drawing. Your drawings, sketches, or studies are hardly scribbles IMO, Allan. Artists are short-changed too much already. IMO we can do without short-changing artists talented sketches by referring to them as “doodles”. Originally “doodle” meant a foolish person. Ditch the word is my advice.

Of course, an accomplished artist may well look upon their sketches as nothing more than doodles, but the sketches here are produced from observations and reproducing in some form what the artist is or was looking at, and that is not absent-mindedness. Quite the contrary; they are more acts of observation and mindfulness of what one is or was observing, casual though they may be.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Chris Lock Chris Lock.
    Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

After giving much thought to this Chris I have resisted the urge to refer to the sketches I did of an evening, or weekend afternoon, as doodles. The process of clearing my office in the lead up to early retirement was a time for reflecting on may things, not least because I was so tired I couldn’t bring myself to ‘doodle’ even in the mindless way that OED describes.

Donna suggested I use the term ‘architectural study’. Often this will be apt as drawing the building, scene or component is a way of getting to the essence of what it is composed of and understadning it better.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Agreed. Donna’s suggestion sounds good to me, Allan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today