Welcome to the SAI Forums Line Illustration Pencil Lessons Learned…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Joseph Robson 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Robson
    Participant

New Xmas sketch book means early new years’ resolutions to get out sketching again.

Lessons learned from winter skecthing inside Durham Cathedral

1. Being cold doesn’t help
    2. I’m rusty
    3. Cathedrals are difficult to draw
    4. I prefer pen to pencil

Time to get practicing I think, maybe I’ll wait until the weather warms up though…

Joe

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice perspective in the second one though. I love drawing churches and have the same resolution as you.

I also prefer pen and warmth!. Here’s one I did on a nice sunny day a couple of years ago.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Just had a look and I have only ever once drawn an actual cathedral (as opposed to a church) which did surprise me. Here it is, not all that good either, St Finbars Cathedral seen from a hotel room in Cork in about 1998.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

These sketches from you two show just how refreshing a simple quicky can be. Much better than a camera for recalling the moment.

Can’t say churches are my thing but I go along with the sentiment.

Here’s a ten minute view from the hotel balcony. Ten minutes – that some exposure time!

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice one Don. I tried getting out in the cold but it was so bad I think the ink in my pen was freezing, here’s one I did down by the canal with a Tombow pen at about -2decC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today