This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Allan T Adams Allan T Adams 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Here is the latest cutaway drawing I have been working on. Its a cutaway view of the museum in the medieval guildhall in Boston, Lincolnshire. It is to illustrate a booklet aimed at encouraging visitors to the small Lincolnshire town. There are cells on the ground floor which held some of the Pilgrim Fathers before they went to America. Colour is being added to finish it off.

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Nice drawing Allan, I’ve always liked cutaways! :clap:

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Beautiful work, did you set it all up by hand? I used to love doing these but so time consuming, it’s the kind of thing I think sketchup can be very useful for.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Yes Tim, it was set up by hand. Its a bit easier in isometric projection than it would be in perspective. The angle on my set square is set at 27.5 degrees rather than the usual 30 degrees which helps reduce the distortion at the right hand side a bit. Sketchup might well help a bit but it wouldn’t save me much time with much of the detail.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Here is the finished artwork, now awaiting sign off from the authors of the book it is intended for. The finished piece is roughly A3 size but will need a reduction of about 70% to fit the book, one of EH’s ‘Informed Conservation’ series that measure 210 x 210mm.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Lovely work Allan. :clap:

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks Tim. The book author asked me to remove a couple of dotted lines from the finished watercolour. A fresh scalpel blade and bit of retouching did the trick.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today