This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Tim Richardson Tim Richardson 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I found this in an old sketchbook up the loft, I did it years ago but always thought it was good. One of those effortless drawings of nothing much that turn out well.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Its a nice drawing Tim. The quiet ones always work best while drawings of complicated structures are seldom as satisfying. its important to try out simple subjects too, just to keep the eye in. 😉

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Thanks Allan, very true.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Some drawings I did a while ago which were languishing in a box under the bed. They are now attracting some visits on Flickr where some have become favourites of an architect in Mongolia. 🙂

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

@AllanA wrote:

Some drawings I did a while ago which were languishing in a box under the bed. They are now attracting some visits on Flickr where some have become favourites of an architect in Mongolia. 🙂

I can well understand why. That’s a lovely set of drawings, Allan. :clap: Did you offer them as a set of prints or postcards for sale there?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I did indeed. A set of drawings I did for Ightham Mote was bought by the National Trust and made into cards, mounted prints and a portfolio, all thanks to Eric Monk who told me how to go about licencing the images. Knole is also National Trust, in Kent, only a few miles away from Ightham Mote. I never got a reply.

Glad you like them Chris. For a long time I thought no one would and the NT were right.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

“Licensing the images”. Is there a short explanation as to how one does that, Allan? How is it different from copyrighting the images?

Maybe we should have a thread on copyrighting and licensing?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Put simply licencing is the transfer of copyright to another person or organisation for a specific purpose. The licence agreement in this case was for the NT to make cards and prints for sale in the shop at the property in the pictures. It was a one-off, as was clearly stated in the contract. Its probably called something else by others.

I have just been working through English Heritage to allow EH copyright material to appear on a website; licencing is the term used for that.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Excellent stuff Allan, can’t believe they wouldn’t want to use them. Particularly like the staircase – how did you set that up?

I find Flickr a bit more rewarding than this Forum of late, mainly because of the number of people on there I suppose. Not come across any Mongolians but quite a lot of people from Malaysia.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I can’t remember setting up the staircase. Its based on a photograph or two or three, probably why the stairs came as they did as on the left. I also tend, even now, to let the drawing do what it likes.

The people that seem to like my drawings are from all over the place, many of them are designers or architects. Many also make me want to get out sketching but work and commissions between them are frustating at the moment.

Hvae you checked out Liz Steel’s recent material from her holiday to Singapore? I managed five sketches in Stresa over a week. She fills 2.3 sketch books in a fortnight. Mind you i do like a nap from time to time. 😀

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

I see, Alan. Since that licensing was a one-off did they pay you once for the license or on sales or both?

License fees are usually (as far as I know) paid each time the material is used, or printed, how do you ensure that they don’t reprint and not inform you? Or do you just trust them not to?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

The payment was for a one-off use, £50 for each of 12 drawings. They produced a sizeable print run so I think the shop had goods for several years.

I found out later that they had used, or were thinking of using, one of the images for a different purpose. I let them know that I wasn’t happy that they’d not asked permission and mentioned a solicitor. As far as I know they didn’t use the drawings again. We remained on reasonably good terms, though not quite as friendly.

The Knole drawings were offered to the NT before we had our disagreemnet.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

I presume the size of the print run was agreed upon in the license contract.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Not really. I knew they were planning a sizeable run and was happy with that. The printed results were very good, everyone was happy until they thought they could what they liked.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today