This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
  • Pamela Williams
    Participant

Hello Tim,

Has the monthly competition stopped? Aologies, I have been neglegent, only now can I have a go. Pam

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Hello Pamela, we plan to revive it shortly. The same people kept winning! Tim

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Are they millionaires yet, Tim?

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I think they have retired on the profits Chris! Actually one of them has retired!

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Are there any plans to revive the monthly competitions? Or any plans to make the forums more active, they helped me a great deal when I first joined the society, its a shame no one uses them any more!

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Hi Emma, not really. We found it was the same dozen or so people taking part every time and it didn’t seem to be gaining much momentum. In terms of the Forum generally we’ve decided to mothball it – this was my doing really, at one stage I was checking it every day, then every week; it was after I realised that no one had posted anything for 100 days I stopped checking it, only to get someone complain about a month later (the first post for about 130 days) that it was not being moderated!

I think generally people have moved away from Forums – the Association of Illustrators ditched theirs a few years ago and many people moved to Facebook. Of course that’s nothing like the same and many people have moved away from Facebook too. Sad because I found this Forum immensely useful as well but if there’s no interest there’s not a lot we can do.

We’ll leave it here, for now, because there’s some great stuff on it but I can’t see an easy way (or any way really) of increasing traffic to it.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

You can see the thread under ‘Newsletter Feedback’. I was a bit miffed because I just don’t have time to spend even a couple of minutes a day on a Forum that gets (at this precise moment in time) an average of 3 new posts a year. 365 x 2 = 12 hours of my life a year, unpaid to respond to nothing much really. It was terribly boring if nothing else!

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Just had a read of the thread under ‘Newsletter Feedback’, I hadn’t noticed that thread previously, perhaps that is part of the issue that unless people are visiting and actively looking for new posts then they don’t know they’re there. Perhaps if there was a system that notified people perhaps by email when a new thread was started or added to it would encourage people to have a look and post something, I know it would me.

But as you say people have perhaps moved on from forums so even that might be of no use! Oh well, perhaps something in the next newsletter encouraging people to join the Facebook group and post something, if as you say only about 20% of members are in the group currently.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

“Perhaps if there was a system that notified people perhaps by email when a new thread was started or added to it would encourage people to have a look and post something, I know it would me.”

There is! But I turned it off (at one point I was getting 20 emails a day), the website is undergoing a redesign and I’m not sure about the Forum. I think to migrate it to a new (less clunky) platform was going to be expensive and tricky with no guarantee anyone would use it.

I’ll ask RIchard to stick something in the Newsletter.

BTW if you send Richard some of your recent paintings I’m sure he could include them – lovely work.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

“Perhaps if there was a system that notified people perhaps by email when a new thread was started or added to it would encourage people to have a look and post something, I know it would me.”

There is! But I turned it off (at one point I was getting 20 emails a day), the website is undergoing a redesign and I’m not sure about the Forum. I think to migrate it to a new (less clunky) platform was going to be expensive and tricky with no guarantee anyone would use it.

I’ll ask RIchard to stick something in the Newsletter.

BTW if you send Richard some of your recent paintings I’m sure he could include them – lovely work.

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Thankyou I’ll certainly think about doing that, my previous painting of the South Gare Steelworks (which I believe you commented on Facebook) sold during the last exhibition. I aren’t showing anything at the moment, but I will be submitting my latest lighthouse painting for the next exhibition, no guarantee it will be selected however!

20 emails a day is rather a lot! Perhaps a revised system of one email per day or week just to say that there’s been new posts today/this week would be a better option.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

I wish I only received 20 emails a day. The first thing I do is delete around 30-40 emails from the 70-80 in  my inbox everyday, non of which are spam.

BTW really like your latest painting on FB Emma.

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Thanks Chris.

I meant 20 emails purely from the SAI forum, I often get more than 20 a day, very rarely have as many as 70-80 though! 😮

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

:good:

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Hello Emma / Tim / Chris.

Yes – it’s me once more. I like to post something every year or so !

The main SAI site is – as Tim mentioned – in the process of being updated so as to provide interactive functions such as the ability to display video and/or your latest news. It will also be much more user friendly for those who are searching for an illustrator or are seeking help from a particular SAI member.  I suppose it will be a little like a forum but not rely on it’s existence on ‘audience participation’ as is this platform.

We should have something to show in time for the AGM which will be held in April.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Don. A couple of months waiting surely won’t be any problem for anyone here. Anyone here?!

I’m off to Oz in Feb for a bit so you won’t hear from me then.

Emma Cook
    Emma Cook
    Participant

Thanks for the update Don and I’ll look forward to seeing the new updated website! Will updates or information be sent out regarding this by email or in a newsletter as its unlikely ill be able to make the AGM?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Emails to all members Emma, and and hopefully by newsletter if Richard has enough material to warrant it. As you know, newsletters rely heavily on input from others or, as I’ve frequently been accused of in the past, the content is blasted as ‘personal gratification’ coming from the ‘usual gang’

Damned if you – damned if you don’t!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Don Coe Don Coe.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today