Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI SAI Newsletters

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

The SAI NEWSLETTER

One of the subjects tabled at our recent Board Meeting was the SAI newsletter.

SAI President, Joe Robson has handed his editors hat in. Due, in part, to an extremely busy time in the office and the fact that the flow of material became almost nil led to the decision.

The publication history of our newsletters is one of experimentation , highs and lows in terms of professionalism and costs but, most importantly, the fact that it will always need to be produced by unpaid volunteers in whatever spare time can be found.

It takes an enormous amount of time to collect, collate, write articles, prepare graphics, photographs and type styles and then put it all together using a computer programme to make ready for printing and/or uploading onto the web.

We have received comments from members that a web-based newsletter not as well accepted as a printed hard copy sent by post. But there are also members who have expressed the preferrence for a web-based publication.

So we have made the decision to go for both.

We need to consider cost very carefully. Although to soon-to-be-published SAI coffee table book will be mostly self financing from subscriptions, the cost of printing, packing and posting some 200 newsletters will also need to be borne by members subscriptions.

With costs and distribution in mind we will be reverting to the A3 folded format. The production team will start the thing off and the aim is to produce at least one issue early in the New Year and in the lead up to our AGM in April 2014.

Your comments will be welcomed both before publication and in response to the first issue which will be posted as well as being available on line.

Members will be asked if they wish to opt out of hard copies which would save the Society postage. All members will receive an emailed link to the on line version.

A dedicated SAI App.is in development which will make the newsletter accessible from android devices and tablets and will include a direct link to the SAI Forum.

Don Coe FSAI, Chairman SAI

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

This is great news, Don. I really appreciate the printed newsletters as they always give me something with which to start off a conversation about architectural illus with students and others.

Newly printed material, especially the arts in colour, in English has a bit more interest and appeal in a non-English speaking country. Can’t wait to show it/them around. If only they resulted in work for SAI members.

On that front a Japanese architect and English-teaching friend and I are currently working on promoting our counseling and trading services internationally between Japanese and especially British and European architects, companies and individuals for overseas projects, small or large, in Japan or abroad. Presumably it would be okay to use some of the material in the newsletter to reproduce on our website currently under construction and promote our SAI services? I’d like to get our SAI architectural illustration services mentioned in there.

Since the J are pretty crazy about LV what do you think about letting us reproduce your LV illus there as an example of SAI illus work, Chris? OK to use one of yours too Don? Nothing too big. The sizes on this forum would be fine.

I guess a reply to this should go under a “work & promotions” thread somewhere.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@cpl wrote:

Since the J are pretty crazy about LV what do you think …

LV, Chris??

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Louis Vuitton. Maybe I got it wrong. Oooopps! Now I can’t remember whether it was Chris or Keith who did the snow scene illus for LV a while ago.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Sending a reply to your email earlier today by traditional email, Don. Maybe it’ll have a short piece for the newsletter. More by email soon. I’m actually in the middle of writing it.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Found it. It is Keith’s LV illus. Used also for a Christmas Card 2013.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

That clears it up, I thought it was Luncheon Vouchers 😳 whatever happened to them?

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Here it is. It’s posted under “watercolor” “test piece”.
    http://www.sai.org.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=1333&mode=view.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today