Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI SAI Newsletters

This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

To jump start this new topic here’s a link to a newsletter from the past. This was one of the issues we published in house. The articles were collated, DTP’d, edited, converted to PDF here at the office and then put out to the local print shop who printed D/sided A3 folded and delivered back to the office all for £1 a go. The office then stuffed, stamped & posted at cost.

To view the newsletter click

http://www.msun.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SAI-Newsletter.pdf

Please bear in mind that the attached PDF was not intended for web viewing and some of the images will be “blocky” and the type pixelated. Nevertheless, the majority of the membership approved the format and it wasn’t until the present glossy organ was produced that it was agreed that SAI+Gloss was the way forward.

Do you think that we could revert to the in-house publication pro.tem?

Discuss Let us have YOUR views on the SAI Newsletters

James Mann
    Participant

I say yes but with the newer design/layout.

I also believe that we should forget about printed newsletters now and go with PDF until further notice. The cost savings seem to be pretty big to me. I think the meetings are more important, lets get everyone out and talking to each other about their work. I fear we may have a hardcore hermit section no doubt re-inforced by the nature of our working practices. We are supposed to be a Society after all.

Jim

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I would hope that there would be more content than that – there’s only about 5 minutes reading there. Even in the last 7 years technology has jumped on leaps and bounds so it should be possible to put together something with the new graphic design and level of content and just not print it out.

James Mann
    Participant

@timrichardson wrote:

I would hope that there would be more content than that

I don’t think tech is the limiting factor, I think its the struggle to get contributions that keeps it this size.

Jim

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

The last 4 or 5 issues were all 8 pages, that old example was only 4.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

This is just the kind of discussion I was hoping for :clap:

Keep ’em coming. We can then find out what the members want and then we can find those who can deliver.

Thanks.

Iain Denby
    Iain Denby
    Participant

I agree with Jim. We need more content, and I’m as guilty as anyone for not providing any. Having said that, If I was asked to write about something specific, then I probably would, and I’m sure others would too. So maybe rather than hoping members would contribute, perhaps we should ‘invite’ certain members at certain times to contribute?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Thanks, Iain.

Question. I have mentioned this thread over on the main site News Page and have added a hyperlink to here. I have, in the past been able to over-type the long URL with the word click HERE and that overlaid the link instead of the tiresome URL which can be seen in the item.

Remind me how, someone, Please.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

@idenby wrote:

Having said that, If I was asked to write about something specific, then I probably would, and I’m sure others would too. So maybe rather than hoping members would contribute, perhaps we should ‘invite’ certain members at certain times to contribute?

I think this would be a good idea. I remember years ago the AJ used to have certain themed sections in every issue – there was one called ‘masters of building’ about architects from the past, one on new developments in materials etc. It made it a much more coherent read.

So you could have a digital section, a traditional section, one on competitions (there seem to be a lot of photographic ones at the moment), photographic, modelmaking (!), historic building recording, as well as news, new members etc.

So members could be ‘invited’ to contribute to a relevant section each issue?

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

I think something like that A3 folded would be fine for seasonal issues or specials, but just 4 A4 sheets could be purely PDFs as Jim suggests. I still prefer the idea of a bigger printed annual issue.

Annuals would give members more time to contribute, even do an illustration or write up, perhaps by invitation; and we’d save a lot on postage and packing (not, however, that many copies are sent abroad). Annuals needn’t be much, if any, bigger than the present newsletter.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

BTW I missed this topic at first. I thought it was the “members only” section situated separate and at the top as it is. Just assumed and passed it over without reading the title.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Strange, so did I at first.

James Mann
    Participant

Don,

Is there a list of members anywhere that we could have a look at. I am thinking in terms of who each of us might know and would be worth approaching for to ask if they want to put together an piece or if they had something newsworthy that could fill half a column. David Conolly springs to mind.

Something else that could be good is a technology update. We have new versions of Vray coming up that could get reviewed, how to use the iphone as a mobile folio, H264 video on DSLR…is it any good? Interviews or short Q&A type features would be good too – John Mullamey talking about his DK work maybe?

Like Iain said on cgarchitect “you get out of it what you put in” we just need more people to start putting more in ASAP and to take the load off the likes of Don who needs more of our support.

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Thanks for your support, Jim. (I’ll return it when I’ve finished with it 🙂 )

There’s a list of members on the main site, of course. (Illustrators / drop down menu / SAI members A-Z ) or…
    On the menu bar above, “Members” will show list of members on this forum. Click on a name then “Search user’s posts” will tell you what they’re on and what their personal infusion of lightly fermented leaves is!

I’m not sure how David collected the stuff he used but I’m sure that he did a lot of telephoning. Reveal all, David.

James Mann
    Participant

@doncoe wrote:

I’m not sure how David collected the stuff he used but I’m sure that he did a lot of telephoning. Reveal all, David.

I meant that David Connolly getting a prize in that recent photography comp was newsworthy and that we should be giving him a call and encouraging him to contribute something. I do happen to have Davids number already so he would be an easy starting point.

There are some names I recognise but haven’t actually met but I think they might have interesting stories to tell. Facing double onslaught from a major recession in construction (our main client) and cheap and pervasive foreign practitioners we could all benefit from celebrating the talent amongst us.

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

The David I referred to is President Dave.

I always feel lonely on this forum when I see on the footer that “Don Coe and 0 guests” are browsing. I become quite excited when one other joins! As John P. said, “Sad”.

One of the forums I contribute to, this morning showed that “675 members and 42 guests are on line”

Now that’s a crowd. But what fun!

James Mann
    Participant

Ah ok, conincidentally I am meeting President Dave for lunch today. He is in Nottingham for a conservation/heritage meeting I believe.

Maybe this is the kind of thing he wanted to chat about?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

President Dave asked me several times for contributions to the newsletter and a meeting. I vaguely recall writing a piece about the recording project I was working on for the Royal Commission for Vedute.

Having someone ask is a sure sign that at least one person is interested so I think that would be a good way forward.

Allan

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Jim, I thoroughly agree with your comments re David Connolly. As you have his number why don’t you just give him a call and ask if he wouldn’t mind you recording the conversation, and have a short chat on his excellent photograph.

Then you could just print it up and email it to Don and the current Pres. for inclusion in the next newsletter, or one after next if all is now decided for the next.

Or DC might prefer a typed interview in which you submit him a couple of questions that he answers as he wishes.

I think a little piece on that would be just great. It’s an exceptional achievement that we really should note.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@cpl wrote:

Then you could just print it up and email it to Don…

Please don’t email me any copy for the Newsletter. Send it to David B who will be doing the collating bit.

John Pumfrey
    Participant

This topic will run and run …. especially if all members can access by the address you recently sent. I am not just lazy but easily misdirected when routed via the home-forums-news-topic (and probably buttons-hit-in carelessness) labrynth. Somehow the membership must also be told that unless we have their e-mail address they will be out in the cold, because that is how they will get the access address.

The faithful few forumites have certainly responded well and I agree with most of what is said. It is no good whingeing about cuts (like all the government departments do). THEY HAVE TO BE MADE WHEN BROKE!! I do reiterate that whatever form the layout takes it must not consume whole cartridges of ink to print out. I personally think a letter should look like a letter and not a holiday brochure or auction particulars … which go in the bin unopened. Substance not gloss. By the way if articles are requested make the topics newsy or challenging and not waffle. Will they be sent ONLY to membership? It’s a newsLETTER and and not a newsPAPER. Confidentiallity counts.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@johnpumfrey wrote:

Will they be sent ONLY to membership? It’s a newsLETTER and and not a newsPAPER. Confidentiallity counts.

Of the 156 members we have on the database 23 do not have email.

Those with email addresses will be advised, by email, that the newsletter may be accessed by sending them a link to the newsletter which will be “stored” within the Publications area of the SAI web site, alongside those newsletters already there.

The newsletter, like the site, will be available to the World and his wife. That is, anyone who feels a need can access it, just as they are able to access the newsletters already there.

Iain Denby
    Iain Denby
    Participant

The newsletter (or paper) has, up until now been available to download by the public at large should they wish to do so. I don’t think a newsletter is the place for anything confidential -ever. That should be done in private comunications or on the ‘members only’ part of this Forum.

Hi everyone!

Sorry for late reply, work has been pretty hectic recently. Yup if you want to think of a few questions for me to answer I’d be more than happy to give a response. In the meantime I’ll try and think of an interesting way to explain the story behind the picture.

All the best

David

Joseph Robson
    Participant

Hi,

Just reading/replying this thread whilst on the train to work so please excuse any typos/punctuation. Just a thought on the newsletters, following on from John’s point, maybe we could make the newsletters accessible through the forum, so they are public but only through registration – would encourage forum sign ups, normal members would be emailed a copy obviously.

Don, do we know how many times the newsletters are downloaded each month?

Just a thought

Cheers

Joe

P.s. good to see you on here David, and congrats on the photo comp, nice shot. We’re overdue a catchup, maybe next 3DSLondon?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today