Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI SAI Newsletters

This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Don Coe Don Coe 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    James Mann
    Participant

@johnpumfrey wrote:

It’s a newsLETTER and and not a newsPAPER. Confidentiallity counts.

Its potential publicity.

The more of us that contribute, the more the society membership can benefit from it. Obviously the people that actually do provide the content are going to derive the most direct benefit and publicity but I think thats only fair.

Is there anything that goes into the newsletters that is confidential? I recall some members asking for extra copies of the newsletters to pass to clients in the past.

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@Joseph wrote:

…maybe we could make the newsletters accessible through the forum, so they are public but only through registration – would encourage forum sign ups, normal members would be emailed a copy obviously.

Don, do we know how many times the newsletters are downloaded each month?

I will be putting a download link onto the forum in this topic, Joe. (“normal” ? 🙄 )
    As for numbers of downloads, I wonder if Noel would answer this, Please. I’m aware that Noel looks in from time to time.

EDIT… I know what I would like to happen! That is for those who register, do so using their real name. I find it annoying trying to find out if they are SAI members or not. I’ve never understood why anyone should need to conceal their true identity, Kind regards, DogsBreath.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Just a thought on the newsletters, following on from John’s point, maybe we could make the newsletters accessible through the forum, so they are public but only through registration – would encourage forum sign ups, normal members would be emailed a copy obviously.

Sounds like a good idea, only members can access the American ASAI newsletter, it’s not on their website and their forum is members only too.

James Mann
    Participant

I think if I were to put in the effort to contribute something to the newsletter then I would want as many people as possible to be able read it. Whilst I understand the need to have a lever that gets the members to join the forum, I don’t think the newsletter should be it. We need the world and his wife to be reading about all the great things that the membership do:

a) to generate publicity
    b) to bring memebers more business
    c) to raise the SAI profile
    d) to increase the membership by making us more relevant

I bet you that if the Chinese ever get round to creating their own society, their newsletter will be reproduced in multiple languages and promoted everywhere.

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@jim wrote:

We need the world and his wife to be reading about all the great things that the membership do…

…I bet you that if the Chinese ever get round to creating their own society, their newsletter will be reproduced in multiple languages and promoted everywhere.

My feelings exactly, Jim. How to get the membership to respond in numbers will need to be our aim from now on.

A letter I had from the Campaign for Drawing a couple of months ago said, “We are counting on you leading an SAI Brigade to the Festival – we need lots of expert drawers…”

Two of us were there in spite of many appeals. 😥

Gareth Hughes
    Participant

I think it would be fine as a pdf, an online version
    would offer more scope to include links and video/demos
    (similar to the simonjones youtube video in the watercolour section).
    Can always be printed off too….printer freindly though..
    i.e. no black ink guzzling background.

Gareth

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@Gareth Hughes wrote:

….printer friendly though..
    i.e. no black ink guzzling background.

This subject was fully discussed at a recent meeting of the SAI Council, Gareth, and it will be our intention to back up the online version with a printer friendly option.

Any article, letter, announcements and so on should be submitted to President David.

Anonymous

At last I have logged on.

Some good feed back that inspires more thoughts about how the newspaper should develop. The idea of being on line means you can add in all sorts of links for example if I report on an exhibition i can add the link that allows the reader instant access to it. We ought to design the letter for the i Pad/book so it can be read at a comfortable size.

I will not ramble further but go away and develop with Joe an exciting format that is an excellent replacemnt for the paper version.

Good to meet with Jim on Friday last. Nottingham had changed a lot since I was a young lad there.

More soon

Glad to be part of it

President Dave

Iain Denby
    Iain Denby
    Participant

David

Everything’s changed a lot since you were a young lad! 😉

John Mullaney
    Participant

I don’t have anything particularly thought-shattering to say for my first forum post (apologies for the delay Don)…

– I edit & compile a charity magazine and I can appreciate just how much work goes into putting out just one issue. Well done and thanks to Don and David for all the previous newsletter publications; always an enjoyable and informative read.

– I would love to see an annual more in depth publication and would be very happy to contribute writing or images.

Over and out

John :mozilla_wink:

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Any news on the next issue? or is the debate as to format still ongoing?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@timrichardson wrote:

Any news on the next issue? or is the debate as to format still ongoing?

Good questions, Tim. Last I heard from David is that he’s handing over the collating job to John P who will hand the material over to Joe who will put it all together and publish it from the SAI site’s Publications area.

No further comments from the membership regarding format, frequency, distribution, content, ………

I know nothing. 😡

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I thought the last newsletter nicely carried over the theme and style of the previous ones – well done.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

The next issue is currently being put together and will appear in your inbox very soon.

Summer 2011 newsletter, excellent Don. Job well done.

Out of interest what software is used to pull the document together. Is it Adobe Acrobat full version ?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

I don’t put it together, Neil, Joe does, after John has collected all available material. I’ll pass on you kind comments and hope/wonder if, they will read your post 😆

Adobe? More than likely!

It was a good issue, Thanks Joe.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Well done Joe it was good. There was no new members section though, was that because there weren’t any?

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Yes, congrats, Joe. It was another real professional job.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Any news on the next one?

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Had a Board meeting last Wednesday, Tim. It’s being assembled by Joe.
    If you have anything for it, please email it to John Pumfrey who is Collator Boss.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks to everyone to everyone that contributed to the latest newsletter. I was particularly pleased to see Joe reporting on the uptake of hand drawing skills by the Bath students after the SAI meeting in October.

Donna Scott
    Donna Scott
    Participant

Hear Hear! (or is it Here Here? Or Hear Here maybe?)
    Fantastic illustrations and some useful links to other websites.
    The information on copyright was also very interesting. Good to see that logic prevails.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today