Welcome to the SAI Forums Line Illustration Pencil Sketching on the VAG conference

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Allan T Adams Allan T Adams 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

This year the conference was held in Oxford. I use the conference as an opportunity to look at historic buildings in areas I don’t usually work in, a chance to keep my skills in vernacular building recording up to scratch, especially the rapid sketching of architectural details. I’ve attached the best of this year’s efforts.

They include a medieval chimney at Abingdon Abbey and carpentry details that had several veteran building recorders baffled until I did the sketches Wysdom Hall and Calendars. They may be rough and ready but we only had ten to fifteen minutes in each building 😮

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice stuff Allan,

I must keep my detail sketches neater and I’ll then post a few here.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks Tim. You wouldn’t believe how much time I spent Photoshopping out the bits I didn’t want to share with these sketches. All good practice. 😕

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I never thought of that! you certainly can’t tell.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Did you use the clone tool, Allan?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Yes Don, the clone tool wins over the erase tool as it matches the surrounding tones. 🙂

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I too have now nearly mastered the clone tool! here are a couple of measured surveys that don’t look to bad once you get rid of all the notes – not in the same league as Allan’s but interesting.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Love the sketches Tim, much neater than my field notes. I’m usually pushed for time to get as much done as possible and then move on the next building. These sketches were done on a summer school this summer, I was shwoing students how to do basic field survey.The sketches were done while the students were away from the building in case we needed a base for measurements. Lucky I did them as the computers were had on site for the theodolite surveys refused to work. We got all sorts of useful data on hand sketches. 😆

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I like the long section, it’s amazing how much data you can cram onto a hand drawn sketch and still keep it legible.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

The originals are on A3 Tim. I usually work in an A4 notebook which allows an A3 double page spread. Old age (how I feel sometimes…!) means I usually enlarge the field notes to be able to read the numbers when drawing up; its that or use a magnifying glass. At least we had something we could use. The computers we had site that day wouldn’t work half the the time. Even my string and spirit level was more use than the £5,000 theodolite. My group of students all produced a finished piece in half a day, a couple of them were helped by computers, but tw oother groups relied more on the technical side of things and didn’t get nearly as far.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I went to the 2012 VAG conference determined to sketch more. Here are the best of the efforts from a good conference. None of them took longer than ten minutes (Hartshorns and Melbourne Manor). 😀

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Nice linework Allan, what kind of pencil were you using?

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

The pencil’s a Pentel 0.5mm technical pencil with HB lead. It saves sharpening and carries an eraser in the end, handy for quick sketches and doesn’t need sharpening. 😀

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I did better at sketching the 2014 VAG, in Gloucestershire. 44 buildings in 3 days (I missed half a dozen in Wotton under Edge). Still not as quick as Tim but quicker than I used to be, perhaps its the practice. Here are the best of the on-site ones.

Gareth Hughes
    Participant

nice set of drawings Allan..and quick!

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks Gareth. The time allowed for most of them was no more than ten minutes. The dining room of course took about fifteen minutes, jsut after dinner whilst people were helping themselves to tea and coffee.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Really nice. You make a good point about black doors too, photographs work on the 18% grey principle so if it is a bright day the blacks go totally back and the whites burn out. So unless you take a lot of photo’s at different exposures or use HDR you don’t capture all the detail. Whereas a 10 minute sketch with a pencil does!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today