Welcome to the SAI Forums Markers Tombow

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Tim Richardson Tim Richardson 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

These are great pens, introduced to them by John Pumphrey; an Edding a Tombow and a Waterbrush and you have a complete studio in your pocket for when you are passing somewhere like this.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Nice work, Tim.

John Pumfrey
    Participant

Well done |Tim,indeed – good to know I have found a convert. You could reciprocate with some advice for me …… how did you post your image? I’ve clicked Img and tried pasting one and it doesn’t work!

John

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Did you manage to figure it out? the main thing is to do “choose file” and then “add the file”. You may have to resize it as you get a red error message if the image is too big.

Would love to get a ‘Tombowing’ competition going on this thread if you can post something (most of mine are a bit sketchy), I can even post the few that went horribly wrong.

John Pumfrey
    Participant

Tim,
    I have followed your route and Don’s and here (I hope) is a page from a sketchbook from my Sri Lankan trip. It took a while to attach to this page because I save my scanned images at high resolution and compacting them seems to take two procedures!!.. and at no time am I told how many pixels (only high/low/medium and “baseline/standard etc”. So here goes. OOps … nothing. Using serif optimiser and photoshop “save a copy” at lowest resolution doesn’t seem to change the number of pixels. Sorry, I prefer Tombow to Microsoft!! I’d better nip down to the post office.

JP

John Pumfrey
    Participant

Here goes again …..

nothing has appeared in the text panel, but if I preview I find three copies!! …. because I’ve tried three times. Should the image appear in my submission as i work?

JP

John Pumfrey
    Participant

This message is for John Pumfrey ….. from John Pumfrey SAI (SAD).

Another attempt to check I’ve got the procedure at last. This time with an aquarelle graphite pencil. Then I’ll have a lie down.

JP

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

John.
    The picture will not appear within the text while you are working. When you click “add the file” it appears as text.

something like this…(only not in red!)

attachment=0]rough 1 revised001.jpg[/attachment

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Very nice john, you can get a real range of tone from it. What colour pen was that? Here is one I did in black, not sure I got it quite right:

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Tim.
    I found this in my “France 2006” folder. Looks Tombow. The thing is that I didn’t know it’s name then. Just one of the drawing sticks I had in the backpack.

I have a dark brown Tombow number 969. That could be the one which John used.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Looks like Tombow to me Don, I too have a 969, plus a Grey N35 and Green N57, I lost the cap off my black one!

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Another one from the train, this building’s shape is so memorable you can almost draw it from memory.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

A couple I did recently, I bought some more Tombow pens in Canterbury.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

And another church I did today, although I did cheat and the weather cock was done in normal watercolour 😆

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

I particularly like the one of St. Anne’s Moseley, Tim. What sketchbook are you using?

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Thanks Don, I was quite pleased – it is tricky to get three point perspective right. The books is a “Hand Book” they are made in America but you can get them here:

http://www.chromosart.co.uk/catalog/sketchingjournals-p-5977.html?cPath=47_928

I’ve had a few, they have a nice feel and they stand up really well to watercolour and are cheaper then the ubiquitous Moleskine.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

This is one I did in Canterbury. I was going to do the background as well but went off the idea, hence it looks a bit unfinished.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

It looks OK as a sketch Tim. After all, they never finished the rest of the church… 😕

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Like that one, Tim.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Just to revive this thread a few years on! I’ve been struggling with watercolour outside in the colder weather (it doesn’t dry), my solution was to use Gin instead of water but whilst it works fine it bleeds thought the paper. Going to try the Tombows again.

I came across this book:

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3782653-a-pen-full-of-light

and Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Pen-Full-of-Light/627785317276032

Which have a nice feel to them, more Urban Sketching than Architecture but I like the way he handles the pens, so I got the remaining colours from his starter set of suggestions and am going to try them out on Saturday.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Nice tuk tuk, John.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I seem to pick up this thread every year in the winter! I’ve been getting back into the Tombow pens again – they actually do dry in the cold weather, Here are a few from the last few months:

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

I like these Tim. Still not sure what a Tombow is….

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Interesting, Tim. Those grey scale ones make really nice looking minitures. Preferable to the larger versions IMO. Should be a good mini illustrative use for them somewhere — apart from thumbnails. First mini greyscale has a real winter feel to it.

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Thanks, they are Japanese (I think Tombow means Dragonfly? perhaps Chris will correct me) twin tip water soluble markers. I’ll draw one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today