Welcome to the SAI Forums The SAI Vacation.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Chris Lock Chris Lock 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Everyone on vacation?

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I was, just got back yesterday!

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Welcome back, Tim. Go anywhere good?

I’m just about to begin mine. Not going anywhere special though. Well, I will be going to the VAD exhibition in Tokyo, but later in September.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I’m about to go on holiday and have been working rather harder than usual as a result, getting work ready to ahnd over to a colleague so a job can get underway whilst I am basking in the rain, in the English Lake District.

I might get some sketching done as I have been encouraged to pack my new travelling watercolour set. 🙂

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

Deal on the south coast; didn’t do much sketching but took a lot of photo’s.

Continuing my theme of going to exhibitions the day they are closed I went to the new Turner Contemporary Gallery in Margate on a Monday (the only day of the week it is closed), still it looks nice from the outside – much smaller than I thought and quite different to the design which originally won the competition but was abandoned:

http://www.ihbc.org.uk/context_archive/80/Margate_Dir/Margate_Page1.htm

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

@AllanA wrote:

… whilst I am basking in the rain, in the English Lake District.

I might get some sketching done as I have been encouraged to pack my new travelling watercolour set. 🙂

Sounds great. I only ever passed by the outskirts of the Lake District. If the rain holds off for just a day or two it should be well worth it. Even from far away the outskirts looked really beautiful.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

@timrichardson wrote:

…the day they are closed I went to the new Turner Contemporary Gallery in Margate on a Monday (the only day of the week it is closed)…

LOL 😆 I did the same thing in Kyoto after walking for 1/2 an hour to the City, or was it the National, Museum of Art.

James Mann
    Participant

Just got back from Cornwall myself. Stayed in Carbis Bay near St Ives and reckon I spent the week watching these guys…1000’s of them.

Jim

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

Should this have been posted in the personal hygiene section, Jim ? 😳

James Mann
    Participant

Boom Boom!

No, more of a natural wonders section I guess. They are deep water crabs not usually seen near the shore or in the shallows but once a year they come into the shallows for a week at select locations to mate…bit like Ibiza for crabs.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Are they edible, Jim? Did you try any?

James Mann
    Participant

Ooh don’t know, I was more interested with the sheer number of them. Didn’t see anybody eating them or collecting them unlike the poor Edible Crab which is pretty much doomed by its given name.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Crabs are a real delicacy here in Japan, though usually different varieties, much bigger and much more expensive; but they eat the small ones too — deep fried.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

I’m just back from a week in the Lake District. One day was very much as the weather men predicted.

Didn’t get much sketchuing done as a result. Wife caught a nasty cold with cough as well 🙁

Tim Richardson
    Tim Richardson
    Keymaster

I went to Dublin by boat for the weekend, forgot to take any paper and only had a pen, so I sketched on the back of the newspaper. It didn’t look too bad, I’ll stick the others under the ‘Doodles” heading (whatever happened to that prize Don?).

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

My commiserations, Allan. That looks anything but inspiring.

Don Coe
    Don Coe
    Keymaster

@timrichardson wrote:

I went to Dublin by boat for the weekend, forgot to take any paper and only had a pen, so I sketched on the back of the newspaper. It didn’t look too bad, I’ll stick the others under the ‘Doodles” heading (whatever happened to that prize Don?).

The intention is to award a prize at the Bath meeting.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

While it rained quite a bit during my holiday in Ambleside I did manage a couple of sketches. Ash Tree Cottage looks very similar to the house-over-cowshed buildings I have been working on in Alston; the sketch took about an hour.
    I spent a bit longer on the other one as I was inside our apartment while the rain poured down all day…

Allan 😎

Donna Scott
    Donna Scott
    Participant

Love the sketches Allan.
    The development of a few areas of individual stones on the cottages and foreground wall work really well. Think you’ve got the balance of what to include and what to leave out spot on.

Allan T Adams
    Allan T Adams
    Participant

Thanks Donna, glad you like the sketches. I suprised myself with the first one as I didn’t realise how long I had been standing in the street sketching. I am pleased with the results though; isually I have only time to do a quick outline.
    Allan 🙂

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Guess this belated Christmas wish goes here.

The photo of Takako and myself was taken in the British Consul General’s house in Ashiyagawa, up the hill about 30 minutes by train from Osaka. It includes (just) the “million dollar view” from the living and dining rooms.
    May this season and the coming year be as beautiful for you and yours.

http://www.sai.org.uk/urchin/assets/images/_mod/20131226_125651.232.16.-1.600.85.1.center.jpg

Season’s Greetings
    for a
    magnificent day
    & coming
    Year of the Horse 2014.
    from
    Chris & Takako

Keith Hornblower
    Keith Hornblower
    Participant

Nice photo – it’s good to see you at last!

I wish you both a Merry Christmas (what’s left of it) and a happy and prosperous New Year!

Best regards,
    Keith

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

It hadn’t occurred to me that there isn’t a picture of me here, Keith. There’s a sketch of me, presently my Skype avatar, done by an art student. It lacked a bit of depth so I touched it up with a little posterize etc on Photoshop.

http://www.sai.org.uk/urchin/assets/images/_mod/20131228_003643.232.151.-1.600.85.1.center.jpg

Takako said, “You look too serious and dark. Ask him to draw a cuter one.” As you probably know, “cuteness” is an ever-present epidemic in Japan.

Chris Lock
    Chris Lock
    Participant

Here’s a more casual one of me at a fellow Brit’s BBQ in Nara.

http://www.sai.org.uk/urchin/assets/images/_mod/20131228_005032.232.789.-1.600.85.1.center.jpg

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

drawing on architecture

drawing on architecture

Take possession of the stunning new book of the SAI. With over 150 full-colour pages demonstrating the breadth of talent in the SAI, this is the invaluable guide to architectural illustration.

Join the SAI

There's no better time to start promoting yourself. Join today