Royal Naval College, Greenwich
Line and Wash | Watercolour | Pen Ink
The Royal Naval College, Greenwich, was a Royal Navy training establishment between 1873 and 1998, providing courses for naval officers. It was the home of the Royal Navy's staff college, which provided advanced training for officers.
The college was established in buildings designed by Sir Christopher Wren and built between 1696 and 1712, then intended to serve as the Greenwich Hospital, a home for disabled sailors. This closed in 1869, when the pensioners were transferred to other places, leaving the buildings available for a new use. The site of the former hospital had once been occupied by the medieval Palace of Placentia, or "Palace at Greenwich", begun by Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, in 1428.
After the Royal Navy departed in 1998 the buildings were opened to the public as the Old Royal Naval College.
Christian Coop MSAI
Illustrator specialising in Exteriors, Interiors